Sunday, July 10, 2011

Take Me Out To The Ball Game

When I was a kid and the school year was wrapping up and the weather turned warm, I'd wait in anticipation for the chance to do all those favorite things that just made it feel like summer. Sleepovers, swimming, snow cones, family reunions, endless hours outside. But I'd never say that baseball made that list . Not that I didn't have my opportunities to play. I was on the ward Young Women softball team. My family would go to a park on occasion and have a little game just for fun. But I wouldn't say athletics have ever been my strength or even all that enjoyable for me. In fact, many years later when I was first married to Ben he convinced me to join his co-ed softball team. He loves to tell the story of when I struck out on purpose so I could go home earlier. Is that really true you may ask. Yes. Yes it is.
But then something happened to make me put baseball on my list of favorite summer activities. My kids started to play. And now from the 1st of June to the 3rd week of July, our lives are pretty much run by baseball. And I love it. We are at games 4 days a week and we have practice 2 times a week. And as busy as it makes my life, I love it! I become such a proud mama as I watch my kids actually learn and understand the game (way more than me). I figured out that although I am horrible at playing baseball (or softball), I am a really good cheerleader!!! I can shout encouraging words and cheer for all their efforts to the point of embarrassing them. (What are moms for?!) So thanks Darcy and Max (and next year Eliza) for making me love baseball!














4 comments:

Joni Larsen said...

Darcy has got a great stance! She looks serious! Glad they have more athletic ability than you and I!

JCLS said...

I love it too!!! It was so fun to watch Darcy play in a few games the past couple of weeks....I wish I could have gone to one of Max's games....next year for sure! Miss you guys already.

Bailey said...

Love it! SO fun to watch! And I CANNOT wait for Eliza to start!! That will be classic!

brooke said...

Looks fun!!