Friday, April 13, 2012

I'm additcted

They say the first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem. Well, this is me, admitting that I have a problem. Okay, I don't just have one problem. I have several. I have observed that I, in fact, have several addictions that invade my life.

1. Diet Coke. This has been a "problem" for me since I was about 16. As soon as I had the car to take me there, I was hitting the Walkers gas station to get myself a 32 oz diet coke at least twice a week. (I know right now my mom is reading this and shaking her head in disapproval. She hates that most of her family can't resist the caffeinated beverage.) And except for about a two year stint where I swore off pop, I havent't really changed. And now that so many places have drinks for a buck, the are really feeding this habit for me! I just can't resist an ice cold diet coke (especially if it's got crushed ice.)

2. Popcorn. (This very often accompanies #1.) I love me some buttery, salty popcorn. At the movies, at home on my couch watching my favorite shows, an afternoon snack. You see? Its a real probelm. And after eating almost an entire bag of white cheddar popcorn by myself last night, I think I may have discovered why I can't seem to loose weight.

3. Playing games on my phone. All day long I am checking my phone to see if anyone has played their games with me. Hanging with Friends, Words with Friends, Draw Free. There is also Angry birds, Chicken Ninja and Hungry spider. That is so embarrassing to list them all and see how bad I've gotten! I will make a disclaimer here that it's not all I do all day. But when I have a spare minute, it's the first thing I do.

4. Sales. If you put a sign up that says "50%" off or even better "take and additional ___% off" I am so there. If you have anything for $5 or under, I will buy it. Even if I don't need it. That's just too good to pass up people!! Give me 2 for 1 and I can't resist. Clearance racks are my friend. I almost never (and I really do mean that) buy anything at full price. I just can't do it. The one exception is food. Other that than it better be on sale.

5. Looking for things that can legitimately get me out of housework. Okay, that ones not for real, but I bet my husband thinks so since my house is usually messy. I just don't like doing housework so I put it off until it's really necessary. Which usually means someone is coming over and I don't want to be embarrassed by having them come inside and trip over things.

I am sitting here looking at my list and thinking of the many more things I am addicted to that I could add to the list, but let's not go there. Because I am realizing, that although I have taken the first step and addmitted there is a problem.... I'm not really going to do anything about it. I haven't hit that "willing to change" phase yet I guess. In fact, I think I am going to go pop some popcorn, pour an ice cold diet coke and check my phone for some games to play.

Then I'm going shopping.

5 comments:

B said...

We are so much alike. That's why I love you. I maybe have a similar blog post...

Kar said...

Hahahaha! Ohhhh, Coke is my huge, huge addiction. If I quit drinking Coke, I'd probably drop 30 pounds. I loved this post!!!

Patty said...

Oh I love crushed ice. Sonic has the best ice.

brooke said...

I am an addict too....to Dt. Mt. Dew...but it's my one thing that I let myself have....did you know that popcorn..is one of the best snacks you can have?? When I used to work at McDonalds it was right when the smoothies first came out and I used to crush the ice put splenda on it and eat it like a slushy... I love your blogs!!

emily said...

LOL! This was the funniest thing I have read in a long time! I think it is so funny and sooooo TRUE! So funny that you listed almost everyone one of my addictions and then when you said that you haven't entered the "I'm ready to change" phase I couldn't stop laughing for 10 minutes! It was like you were writing about me. I too have ALL of those addictions including diet coke! How fun it was to realize that you and I have so much in common!